This week, Alana suggests a new cleansing regime that may challenge the way you think about your skin!
It may seem counter-intuitive, but using oil to cleanse, treat and moisturise your skin is one of the most effective and cheap skincare routines available. It even removes make up!
Oil cleansing is based on the principle of ‘like dissolves like’, and therefore, when using the right combination of oils for your skin, using this method will dissolve the oil on your face and give an effective clean without stripping or irritating your skin. This is important, because if you get all sudsy and eliminate the natural oils from your skin, it will go into overdrive trying to compensate. That’s right: clean now, shiny later.
Oil cleansing can work for all skin types, including sensitive, irritated or dry skin, and acne sufferers. You just need to find the right combo for your skin.
Castor oil is the magical component that does the cleansing, dissolving, and duck diving into pores. It’s also antibacterial and slightly drying, so depending on the level of ‘deep clean’ you need, you will use more or less castor oil in proportion to other oils.
Here’s what to mix it with:
- Sweet almond oil (all skin types, especially oily)
- Olive oil (all skin types)
- Jojoba oil (all skin types, acne-prone skin)
- Apricot Kernel oil (all skin types, especially dry/aging)
- Avocado oil (dry/aging)
- Argan oil (all skin types, aging)
Start with a half and half mix as a trial. If your skin is a bit oilier and needs deeper cleansing, try 2/3 castor oil to 1/3 carrier oil; for dry or aging skin, try 1/3 castor oil to 2/3 carrier oil. Once you have your proportions decided, mix a batch in a dark glass bottle and you’re good to go!
Let’s do it!
- Have your oil and a clean washcloth ready by the sink.
- Rub a 20 cent piece size of oil in between your hands and apply all over your face. Massage it all over in little circles, firmly but gently. Do this for around two minutes.
- Wet your washcloth with very warm water. Wring it out and apply it to your face. Lounge luxuriously and leave it on until it is almost cooled. This is like a mini cleansing sauna for your face. Gently wipe the oil off. Rinse and repeat until your skin feels clean but soft and moisturised.
You’re all clean! Now, depending on your skin/level of enthusiasm/time, you may wish to use a treatment oil such as rosehip, or a little more of your carrier oil as moisturiser if your skin feels tight. You may not feel you need anything at all.
Try using organic, cold-pressed oils if possible. Some brands sell premixed oil blends, such as this one from Bloom Cosmetics, or this one from Planet Eve Organics, but don’t feel afraid to try mixing it yourself!
It may take your skin a little time to adjust to this new system, so don’t get discouraged if you don’t get the results you want right away, but with a little time and practice, you may well have a fantastic alternative to your current cleansing regime.